Thursday, June 23, 2011

War stories for boys

No gurlz aloud

I joined the Library of Science back in the sixties, when I was in high school. The book club seduced me by offering me a membership premium in the form of the MIT Press edition of Mathematics: Its Content, Methods, and Meaning, translated from the original Russian of authors Aleksandrov, Kolmogorov, and Lavrent'ev. You can imagine how jealous the other high school seniors were. (That is, not at all.)

Today the Library of Science is represented by its successor, the Scientific American Book Club. The monthly arrival of new offerings in my mail box is not quite the event that it was in my college years—I'm perhaps a bit jaded now—but I still enjoy flipping through the catalog booklet and shuffling the sheaf of special offers. These latter are often from affiliated book clubs and do not usually focus on the science, technology, and math that are the bread and butter of the Scientific American Book Club. One such affiliate is the Military Book Club. Its flier was in the most recent SciAm mailing. Behold:


What are we to make of this hot-pants aviatrix? She certainly appears respectful and ready to take orders. And who at the Military Book Club decided that it was 1930 again (from the waist up, at least)? And that girls aren't interested in military history? Some boy, no doubt.

I mean, it couldn't be a grown-up.

3 comments:

Gene O'Pedia said...

I agree, funny. On the other hand, maybe the picture is of a boy, one who will soon be able to join our military without having to talk dirty, smoke Lucky Strikes, and spit a lot. Yes, I'm crudely stereotyping, but that seems to be how the world normally works.

João Paulo said...

Who's going to look at the hot-pants aviatrix when you have the irresistible offer of 5 books for 50¢ each plus a free gift?

Jens Knudsen (Sili) said...

I like Gene's suggestion, but I have to admit to having a weakness for 'traps' as I believe they're known in the business.

vw: frangle - as I certainly did at the sight.